Weight loss by skipping meals is not recommended or encouraged in most weight loss diet systems. We have known all along that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and this is the advise of weight loss experts. However, to lose weight, we also need to ensure that we eat a healthy breakfast.
As time for breakfast is a constraint, we need to be able to make small and quick diet changes that will help us lose weight. For a start, get ready to move away from the usual generously buttered toast and juice from the packet. It short circuits your weight loss diet. What are some of the changes we can make to ensure that our breakfast helps us to lose weight? Here are five:
1. Have Breakfast At Home
In fact, to lose weight, eat as many meals as you can at home. As breakfast provides the start up fuel for the day, it is best that you have it at home. There is nothing like home cooked goodness. Avoid the greasy, sweet and cold stuff for breakfast. Breakfast is best taken hot or warm. Do not include canned, preserved or packaged food items in your breakfast diet.
2. Watch Your Calories
Start your day with a glass or two of water. It is best taken as you get up from bed. Eat a fruit or two before your main meal. It acts as a healthy buffer. Eating fruits is far better than drinking fruit juice. If you are hooked on juices, keep it in check especially in terms of calories. A 6-oz. glass of fruit juice will load you with 80 to 100 calories. Juice may give you a much need energy surge but the fibre in whole fruit will keep you "filled" so that you will not easily be hungry. To lose weight, you need to curb your appetite instead of firing it up which is what juices do.
3. Be Selective Of What You Eat
If you need to have breakfast in a restaurant or cafe, stay away from the buffet. Order what you want and specify what you don't want. Be careful with toppings and side orders. Side orders are good for business but bad for weight loss. Home fries, hash browns, breakfast meats, and butter-laden grits cannot have any part in your weight loss diet. Do not shy away from ordering items such as yogurt, fruit, a wholewheat bagel or cottage cheese.
4. Go Easy With The Spread
To lose weight, be stingy with the spread. It need not be something that needs to be doubled or layered for colour or variety. A single spread will do. Instead of butter or margarine, use the fruity spreads.
5. Use Egg Whites
No matter how you prefer your eggs, to lose weight, egg whites are to be preferred over whole eggs. Remember the weight loss diet code;fewer calories, less fat and cholesterol. Avoid frying but if you have to, use olive oil. Olive oil and apple cider vinegar are a great help to your effort to lose weight.
To lose weight, diet is the key as 80% of weight loss or gain is due to diet. Exercise makes up the other 20%. Therefore, use a sensible diet plan for all your meals. The best is one that includes the right exercise techniques for better caloric burn which is crucial for weight loss.